We decided to release Idea Organizer for free for a limited time just to thank the users for the support. It took roughly a day for the download count to shoot up to above 15000 copies. In the US, Idea Organizer ranks #18 in the Productivity category (as of this writing) and #494 overall. That's with around 3800 downloads. Interestingly, Idea Organizer ranks #2 in China in the Productivity category and #134 overall with over 8000 downloads.
A few interesting observations:
- People are watching for price drops in apps.
- If 2500 downloads results in #494 Overall in the US App Store, imagine being in the Top 100 consistently (and being a paid app).
- Making your app free and letting people decide if they would pay for it via in-app purchase can be a good tool if you are finding your app being drowned in the sea of noise.
- Either a lot of people have a need for a place to store their ideas or they just like to try out free apps. We think the latter more so than the former.
- If everyone likes free apps, Chinese likes it more so than others. Apple should perhaps consider implement a country-specific pricing scheme for apps.
- US and China account for close to 75% of the download. If this number is conclusive or indicative of something, it means if you are making a paid app, focus on the US market. If you are making a free app, focus on the US or China market.
It will be interesting to see what the download stat looks like tomorrow.
Top Free iPhone Productivity App (US)
Top Free iPhone Productivity App (China)